Monday, March 16, 2009

Ohhhhh!!!

Over the past couple of months I have developed a concern about the end of my pregnancy. This is going to sound strange, but I have been concerned that I wouldn't realize what was happening when things started happening. I know, I know--when the contractions are real, I'll know. I understand that, but what about the Braxton Hicks contractions? I have read blog posts and talked to other people who have been having them since the 7th month. I haven't had any. I know it's not a big deal, but as I have stated previously, I am a planner. I like to know that things are starting to happen and my body is preparing for Kaleb's arrival.

I woke up in the middle of the night Friday to use the restroom. In doing so, I realized that my stomach looked like I had swallowed a cinder block. It was flat in the middle and rectangular in shape. Weird, I thought. Well, I had been laying kinda half on my side, half on my stomach so I guess the baby had just positioned himself oddly--whatever--I was going back to bed. I told mom about this the next morning and she laughed and commented on how he was running out of space and would have to get into some weird positions!!

Later Saturday I looked down and noticed the rectangular shape had returned. I ran/waddled quickly into the kitchen to show Mom. She put her hands on either side of my stomach and burst out laughing. She then stated, "Sweetie, that's a contraction!" Oh--well-- this has been happening. She and Rachel both got a good laugh and reassured me that I would know when it was real labor, but that what I was feeling was actually a contraction! Hmm... well I guess I have been "feeling" these for about a week now! So, now that I know what I am looking for, I have been having at least one good one (without any pain) each hour during the main part of the day. This also helps to explain my low back pain as I can now associate this pain with the beginnings of each contraction!

Well...now I know...

2 comments:

  1. :) Oh Baby Girl....I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - never had that - but I didn't have any "practice" contractions - so I guess I wasn't really looking at the shape - LOL! I'm glad you got to see what they were like - this will help you relax (I Hope) and enjoy the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete