Sunday, February 8, 2009

Girlie...

Ok, so I am a princess girlie girl. Even though I was raised with two brothers, no sisters, in the country, by a mother who is a fairly proud tomboy-who until recently never liked to be girlie- I am a matchy, perfectionist who loves everything girlie! This isn't a new revelation, but I needed to say it to remind myself that despite living with boys and working hard at having a gender neutral home, it is ok for me to be girlie. Even though I am about to add yet another boy into my family, I can still be girlie! Right? Because of this, and some inspiration from Rachel, I have decided that my blog is going to stay as girlie as possible until Kaleb arrives!


I had been planning on doing this since Rachel changed her blog to a more girlie background, despite her many posts about boys, dirt, vommit and boys! However, a trip to Wal-Mart today sealed the deal for me!


Kevin and I want to be able to keep Riley and Abby (our two dogs) as inside pets when the baby arrives. In order to do this, we know that some training has to happen. They are our babies and are VERY spoiled. So, today I went to Wal-Mart to buy a doll that was somewhat lifelike. I needed one that made noises and moved to really get their attention. While on the doll isle I felt that pang of jealousy that I was not getting a little girl, but a boy. There of course were no boy dolls. Only pretty little pink or purple ones. -I know that I am not buying the doll for Kaleb, but it would have been nice to have found a doll that was a boy. As I put the doll into the basket I saw an older woman, who with a "knowing" smile nodded at my largely pregnant self passing her with my little dolly in the basket. It hit me that she was probably thinking, 'how cute, that pregnant girl buying her new baby girl a doll'. Nope--buying it for my dogs--I'm having a boy.


Then, as I was walking to the other end of the store I passed the baby clothes. I wasn't planning on getting anything, but thought I'd look--I am still trying to find that perfect come home from the hospital outfit. Nothing. Just boring old boy clothes. There were definitely some adorable things, but nothing quite like the things they had for the girls. I found several 'perfect' outfits for if Kaleb were going to be a girl. I sadly left the clothing section and continued on to the food!


I got home, played with the dogs and the new baby--they did really well--and realized, I don't care that Kaleb is a boy, I can still be girlie! Why do I need him to be a girl to make me feel girlie. This really just adds to my princess status. I get to continue being the only girl and Daddy and Kevin's princess. I don't want to share that!! So, despite the fact that I have a house full of boys and another one on the way, I am going to continue being my girlie self and that starts with this blog!!


3 comments:

  1. I love the new background!
    As for you missy... I am very excited to meet my 4th grandson and will gladly accept a dozen more Howwwever-you can and will stay Daddy's princess and on some days you'll be Kevin's and on others...who knows:) But!!! there is nothing wrong with adding just one little pink in the the mounds of blue! love ya bunches, me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am...adding another boy simply adds to your princess status. Embrace it, revel in it...you just may have to share your throne someday! As for me, well, I'm somehow loving my currently puke-covered pink and frilly throne right now...

    Oh, and two by the ways -
    1) Toys R Us. They had a baby boy doll back when we found out we were pregnant with #2. We got that for Conner for Christmas to train him much the way you're training the dogs. (I think I will keep that little baby boy doll forever...it's one of my few tangible memories of #2...)
    2) When/if you find the perfect come home from the hospital outfit, don't get your heart completely set on it fitting. We got Conner's in a premie size and it still swallowed him -- and he wasn't really even that tiny! (6-10) Newborns are just so squished up and tiny...poor Micah and Joey...I didn't try too hard with them after that... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the background.

    Miss you like crazy.

    I think I had a post very similar to this at about the same time... so I totally remember that feeling. And yes, you totally deserve to be girly. I'm actually a lot more in touch with that side of myself and am a lot more aware of myself since Jax arrived.

    I can't wait to see how cute you are in person! Two more weeks - unless, of course, we can get together this weekend??

    ReplyDelete